Moving into the practice essay
Here is the schedule leading up to fall break also now on Veracross.
Sept 13 – Finish Ethics & Introduce Practice Essay
Sept 18 Period 0 – Work time on essay / conference with students
Sept 21 – Introduction to Natural Sciences as a WOK most likely with Mr. Mejia presenting.
Sept 26 – Essay work time (draft due in class)
Oct 2 Period 0 – Final essay due with upload to turnitin.com (NOTE: PTSCs are on the following Monday)
Oct 4 – Wrap up Natural Sciences in individual classes.
All of this information is also on the class site but here are some of the basics.
Practice Essay in grade 12 (1200-1600 words)
Undertaken at the start of Grade 12, this will be the final practice essay before you embark on the final TOK essay. This is assessed across the four essay criteria and will form a significant part of your semester one grade.
Choose one of the following topics:
1) Are reason and emotion equally necessary in justifying moral decisions?
2) Does language play roles of equal importance in different areas of knowledge?
3) “Context is all” (Margaret Atwood). Does this mean that there is no such thing as truth?
4) “We see and understand things not as they are but as we are.” Discuss this claim in relation to at least two ways of knowing.
5) Are some ways of knowing more likely than others to lead to truth?